• Ashway operate throughout the UK including:- London, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Newcastle, West Yorkshire; East Riding of Yorkshire, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Cheshire, Manchester, Lancashire, Barnsley, Batley, Bradford, Brighouse, Cleckheaton, Dewsbury, Doncaster, Halifax, Huddersfield, Hull, Harrogate, Keighley, Leeds, Rotherham, Sheffield, Shipley, Wakefield, Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton, Chester, Liverpool, Wigan, Manchester, Oldham, Preston, Rochdale, Nottingham, Wetherby, Birmingham, Nottingham, Notts, Derby, Leicester, York. Ashway are custom installers of all AV related equipment from top manufacturers including:- Control4, Control 4, Runco, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Toshiba, Hitachi, Pioneer, Bose, Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, InFocus, Epson, Sonos, QED, Kef, Systemline Modular, Nuvo, Living Control, Netstreams, Sonance, Hellermann Tyton, Speakercraft, Smart-e, Wyrestorm, Yamaha, Lutron, Image Audio, Bowers & Wilkins, B&W, Future Automation & Rako Lighting Control.

    0800 612 77 57

    info@ashwayav.co.uk

  • open panel
  • Decrease
  • Increase

LED Lighting

The “Truth” about LED

Modern advancements in technology have seen the simple dull LED (light emitting diode) of yesteryear, evolve into a super energy efficient alternative to traditional lighting solutions used in everything from torches to large commercial applications and more recently, the domestic (home) market.

 

Top 5 facts

The world of LEDs can still be somewhat of a minefield to the uninitiated. Therefore, many people are still “in the dark” when it comes to working out what is best for them. With our many years experience with LEDs, we explain the key facts……

1LED’s cost MUCH LESS to run

compared to Halogen

2Most LED’s will last longer than Halogen spots

however, some cheap LED’s can fail very quickly

3Beware – Not all LED’s are the same

cheaper units will often cost you more in the long term!

4Dimmable LED’s are recommended for home use

make sure these are tested with your dimming system first though!

5Investing in quality LED’s, WILL pay dividends in the future

many times over!

 

Super Efficiency = Super Savings!

The key strength of LED lighting is reduced power consumption. A quality branded LED light is about 80% efficient, which means 80% of the electrical energy is converted to light energy. The remaining 20% is lost as heat energy. Compare that with incandescent and halogen bulbs which operate at about 20% efficiency (80% of the electrical energy is lost as heat).

Our cost comparison chart is a summary of costs based around a large living room (measuring 5m x 8m) and shows that LEDs will save you literally £thousands – even on a single room.

With an average payback time of around 2-3 years LED is clearly the best choice for any build related project.

Why LEDs cost less ££££'s to run

In real money terms – if a single 50 Watt Halogen Spotlight is used for 1 year, with an electrical cost of 10p per kilowatt hour, £55 will be spent on electricity costs. Of the £55 expense, £44 will have been used to heat the room, not light the room.

If an 80% efficient LED system had been used, the electricity cost would be around £7 per year – there would be a cost savings of £48 on electricity during the year. Realistically the cost savings would be higher as most halogen light bulbs blow out within a year and require replacements whereas LED light bulbs last much much longer

Cost Comparison Chart

Cost Comparison Chart

 

Not all LEDs are the same

Currently, most LED products available from DIY stores are offered as direct replacements for standard halogen (and similar) fittings. However, the majority of these are not as bright as their power hungry ancestors and are often non-dimmable – this is a fairly significant concern for anyone looking to use lighting to create different moods within a room.

 

LR5944Ultimate LED

The answer to this problem current lies with quality LED manufacturers such as Collingwood, who produce their own range of quality dimmable LED products that are truly as bright as a 50w halogen bulb.

Furthermore, with the introduction of RGB colour changing LEDs, homeowners can now light up their home in a whole range of new and exciting ways.

 

miniPic-LEDWant to know more?

At Ashway, we can supply and install a wide variety of LED lighting solutions and even provide Smart Mood Lighting control to bring it all together in one easy to use system.

Please call us today for further details 0800 612 77 57

© 2018 Ashway Smart Homes - 0800 612 77 57
Installing quality home cinema solutions since 2003